Γριτσόπουλος, Μεγάλη Σχολή τ. Α΄ (1966, β' έκδ. 2004)
Τάσος Αθ. Γριτσόπουλος, Πατριαρχική Μεγάλη του Γένους Σχολή τ. Α΄ (Σύνδεσμος των εν Αθήναις Μεγαλοσχολιτών, φωτομηχανική επανέκδοση Αθήνα 2004)
The Patriarchal Great School of the Nation by T.A. Gritsopoulos (in Greek) is a historical monograph (in two volumes, a total of 1,000 pages) concerned with the Greek educational institution which operated in the Ottoman Empire from 1454 to 1923 and was known variously as the Patriarchal Great School of the Nation, the Common School of the Nation, and the Patriarchal Academy and the Great Museum of the Nation.
The extensive bibliography of the two-volume work appears in the first volume on pages ια-ις and 1-16. This is followed by a brief review of education in the Palaeologan period and of the conditions prevailing in Constantinople before and after the city’s fall to the Ottomans: Part One: “As Byzantium breathes its last” pp 21-64. In Parts Two through Five (pp 65-479) the author develops the main subject of his study and covers the first 350 years of the School, from 1454 when, according to tradition, Patriarch Gennadius Scholarius founded the new School of the subject nation until the School’s transfer from the Phanar to Xerokrini (Kuruçeşme) on the Bosphorus in 1804. Total pages α-ις and 1-480. A consolidated Index for the two volumes is printed on pp 453-477 of Vol 2, and on pp 351-452 of Vol 2 there is an Appendix containing many of the documents published here (from patriarchs, princes and sultans) referring to the period covered in the first volume.
The photographic reprint of the two-volume work was made in 2004 on the occasion of the 550th anniversary of the foundation of the Great School of the Nation.