Trebizond, sketch map of 1850 (made by George Finlay)
Outside the west wall: the western suburbs and the monastery of Hagia Sophia.
The Theotokos Chrysokephalos (Mother of God, the Golden-headed), cathedral of Byzantine Trebizond, is located at the centre of the walled city. The trapezoidal shape of the walls follows the lines of the trapezoid-shaped hill that rises up between two torrents.
On high points southeast of the city walls, are located the monasteries of the patron Saint Eugenios and the Theotokos Theoskepastos (God-Protected), the latter occupying a site on the northern flank of Mount Minthrion or Mithraion (Turk. Boz Tepe), where Mithras may have been worshipped from the 2nd-3rd c. AD until the early 4th c.