M. Koromila, Mistras. Third program, 1261-1348.
In the third program, the fortified city is surrendered by the Franks to Emperor Michael VIII Palaiologos in autumn 1261 and the Byzantines arrive in Frankish-held Lakonia in the spring of 1262. This was the first Byzantine period for Mistra, when the Frankish castle was converted in a hasty and disorganized fashion into a Greek city state that would accommodate the inhabitants of Lacedaemon within the strong walls that climbed up the hillside. The steep and narrow streets of the Metropolis, public fountains and hemmed-in building plots are described, as well as the church of St Demetrius, Sts Theodore and, in greater detail, the church of the Panagia Odegetria, katholikon of the Vrontochi Monastery which was founded by the monk Pachomios with imperial patronage and adorned with exquisite wall paintings.
Cameo descriptions of the great personalities of this period: Nikephoros Moschopoulos, Metropolitan of Lacedaemon who corresponded with the intellectuals and scholars of Constantinople (Maximos Planudes, George Pachymeres, Manuel Philes) and the protosyncellos Pachomios.
Digital processing for APAN Marina Kokori